Thursday, May 3, 2012

Grieve, Pray for Strength and Remember...

1559730_300x300_1.jpeg

Alan Impicciche passed away on April 23, 2012.  He was 52.  He was my uncle, "Unke Al."  He died from Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia.

When I began this journey in January, I wanted to show support for my uncle as he underwent treatment for a disease I was sure he would beat.  I wrote to him to tell him I wanted to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society to support and honor him.  My uncle fully supported the challenge I was taking on and was touched by my desire to help in the only way I knew how.  I had no idea that only four months later I would be training to race in his memory.

When I was a child, Alan lived with us for some period of time.  I have fond memories of going to Toys 'R Us to pick out gifts on my birthday.  One year he bought me a giant green plastic piggy bank with pink eyes (think the Amityville Horror Pig), another year a whole slew of pound puppies with a carrier.  I can remember so looking forward to shopping for my birthday gift with Alan, because he always let me pick things that my mom said I couldn't have or were too expensive.

I recall Alan picking me up from day care one day and marching back into the office to admonish the administrator for not punishing some little boys who had thrown sand in my eyes making me cry.  And I will never forget weekend dinners at my grandparents house when an hour or so after dinner, Alan would announce "Dudes, Pizza?" (What can I say, we Italians think pizza is an after dinner snack.)

As I grew older, Alan married Ann and they had two amazing children, Maria and Michael.  Although I was not as close with Alan as I grew into adulthood, I always loved and cherished my relationship with him.  As I write this, I cannot help but think of Alan's unique quirks that made him both goofy and lovable at the same time.  Alan loved vanilla ice cream and beanie weenies, but he hated to be in the same room as an onion. Alan loved to eat Wonder Bread sandwiches...just two slices of white wonder bread squished into a ball.

Alan loved golf, but he loved his family more.  I have read numerous messages left by friends and colleagues.  Seeing Alan through the lens of his friends and co-workers is to see him as a dedicated and bright co-worker, a wonderful friend, who put family and friendship above all else.

Alan suffered greatly the last few months of his life as he battled his illness.  I take comfort that Alan is no longer suffering and is now watching over all of us.  Alan's death came too quickly, his children were too young, his wife and family still hopeful he would recover.  So, we will grieve, we will pray for strength, and we will remember.  I believe that training and racing in Alan's memory will give me the opportunity to grieve, to pray for strength, and to remember.  And when I struggle, I will picture Alan alongside our Lord and Savior...perhaps they will be sharing a Wonder Bread Sandwich after a game of golf as they watch over and protect our family.

Unke Al - I love you, I miss you, and I will look to you for strength.  We will always remember your kind heart and gentle spirit.  Rest in peace Alan. Love, Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment